Saturday 19 January 2013

Focus On Life - Week 3 of 52 - Take Time...

This year I am taking part in a photo journal challenge set up by the lovely Sally Russick of Studio Sublime who, in addition to creating beautiful jewellery is a talented photographer. Each week Sally sends participants a word prompt and the following Saturday we all post our photo interpretations on our blogs, Flickr or Instagram.


The prompt for this week was 'take time for You' and Sally asked us to capture something that we did this week purely for ourselves be it for a few minutes or a few hours. I don't know how she's doing it but Sally seems to be picking prompts that resonate so closely with my goals that they're creating a kind of footpath through the undergrowth for me.

'Me time' goes hand in hand with last weeks subject which was my word for  the year - 'balance'. I am just terrible at making time for myself! Because I love what I do so much I have a hard time thinking of it as work and like many creative people, If an idea strikes I have to act in the moment whenever that may be. But just because I enjoy it doesn't mean it's always good for me or that I should neglect other things that I also enjoy or need to do for my own benefit.

The timing for this prompt was perfect too because yesterday was my birthday and I was already thinking I should maybe take the day off, so this sealed the deal. Earlier in the week I'd thought about going down to a nearby beach for a bracing stomp and to get some fresh air in my lungs, but overnight snowfall put paid to that. We don't do snow well in the UK and the whole place tends to grind to a halt at the first sign of it. My cat Cleo obviously wasn't impressed so I decided to follow her lead and stay put...


It's actually quite strange and quite difficult to be in the place you work in every day and do nothing work related. I had a late brunch while reading the news online, chatted a bit on Facebook and caught up with some blogs I follow. I did then go off and make some jewellery but in my defence, this comes a very poor second to component making at the moment and it is something I really enjoy doing. I also did a bit of financial paperwork which although not fun was definitely for my own benefit and was satisfying to get out of the way.

By this time it was about 3pm and time for something I'd been savouring all day...my cosy chair overlooking the garden, a favourite book and some rather tasty birthday treats...


I love books and have a house full of them but find I read very infrequently these days and if I do make the time, there is usually so much racing around in my head that I can't concentrate. But not this time...I spent a good three hours reading Jean de Florette, one of my all time favourites and it was blissful - the hot chocolate and  choux bun were pretty good too!

And of course the respite has done me a power of good as I'm now raring to go on the work front. Thanks Sally - just the incentive I needed.

Check out what everyone else did with their time here.

Lesley

27 comments:

  1. Your picture is so enticing. And Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a very tasty afternoon treat. Glad it lasted 3 hours. Happy Birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic!! your 'me time' with the book, hot chocolate and bun sound just like how i'd like to spend some 'me time' too.
    We are blissfully free of snow here in Plymouth City in Devon, by all accounts I think this is quite lucky as the rest of Devon and Cornwall seems blanketed by it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "that resonate so closely with my goals that they're creating a kind of footpath through the undergrowth for me." What a beautiful way to describe what this process has been for me as well! Lovely photo...the snow offers such a quiet excuse to slow down and sink into time doing something that is always right in front of you, but sometimes out of reach like reading. I really enjoyed this little peak into your time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A very happy Birthday Lesley. Hope we can get together again this year. It was fun. :)

    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  6. a belated happy birthday, and a book and a naughty treat is the perfect way to take time on your birthday, i reckon!
    hope you're not too snowed in...
    have a great week!
    [no. 13 this week]

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also love that phrase about a footpath through the undergrowth --what a wonderful set of words.

    I do a lot of work from home too, and recently I've found that taking the time to read for pleasure comes with guilt it shouldn't. I'm glad you were able to take the time for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You certainly have a way with words, Lesley! I feel the same way about this Focus on Life challenge of Sally's - it is like she is writing the prompts "just for me"! I cannot remember the last time I cracked a book....your post reminded me of that. Not to mention that I am now craving hot chocolate! Oh, if I only had the marshmallows on hand!!! Hope you enjoy the rest of your Birthday Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy birthday! Yes Cleo has good sense, love that shot! Glad you found a variety o ways to enjoy your day

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh how lovely! I love to pick up a favorite book and skip to my favorite parts! a little indulgence for me :) And your birthday treat looks so yummy .. hope you enjoyed your day! Happy Birthday to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. When I think of time for me - this picture is exactly what comes up! How perfect! I had to chuckle at your shot for last week - I can relate to that too! Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy birthday! that's a perfect way to spend it: food for the soul and sweet and warm food for your body on a cold winter day (your cat knows better!)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy birthday - your day sounds so peaceful - and sweet cat prints!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks like you had a wonderful birthday, thanks for sharing it with your great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy birthday! I hope you had a fabulous day, and with that pastry and hot chocolate, I know it had to be a good day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yum, yum!! And Happy Birthday! Sometimes curling up with a good book is just the best thing in the world!

    (I'm #40 this week)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yes, Sally's prompts just seem to be the right thing at the right time. It's been too long since I spent time with a novel. I need to fix that! I hope you had a great birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That looks like a lovely brunch! And that novel reminds me that I have not read a book in a very long time. I've read jewelry books and lots of magazines, but not a real book. I must change that.

    I hope your birthday was a happy one!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy Birthday! I don't know what a choux bun is but it looks delish! There's nothing better than sitting inside on a snowy day, reading and enjoying a hot cup of cocoa, with no particular place to go, looks like the perfect me time!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Lesley,
    I had to laugh when I read that even your cat did not like the snow that well and the picture to prove it was to funny. I am glad that you took the time for you on your birthday and now you are recharged to make more of your little beauties that we all like to own, I know I do!
    Therese

    ReplyDelete
  21. Happy Birthday! It looks like you had a wonderderful time with your book, drink and sweet! You can never go wrong reading a book!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Happy Birthday Lesley. My dog Frank isn't fond of snow either. Sound like you had a great day. Relaxing with a cocoa & a good book looks so tempting in your pic.

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a lovely birthday you had! That hot chocolate and bun look so yummy, and there's nothing like curling up for a few hours with a great book!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Happy Belated Birthday Lesley! Here in Seattle, we don't do snow well either. What with the hills, and inch of snow means everything's pretty much stopped for the day.

    Sounds like you had a nice snow day, though. Even if totally unplanned.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Happy Birthday! Your treats looks SO yummy! Have a great week! Suzette

    ReplyDelete
  26. It sounds like you found the perfect happy balance of time well spent. Happy day of days to you, Miss Lesley! Enjoy the day. Erin

    ReplyDelete
  27. First, Happy Belated Birthday to you!! I love what you did with "Your" day and would love to come and share a cup of that hot cocoa w/you. I too feel that Sally's prompts are lining up and setting a path for my year of being "ready" - it's rather fun this way! I hope your special day and your time was everything you wished for!

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy - join in with the gossip...