Friday 10 August 2012

Taking it Easy...


I've been a bit remiss with my blogging this month...as I mentioned in an earlier post, I'm taking a bit of a breather, trying to avoid deadlines and relaxing a little bit more - so far so good...

Although I'm not a sporty person I have to admit that I've had a laptop permanently tuned to the BBC's live coverage of the Olympics over then past two weeks. I usually find myself watching some strange sport at an unearthly hour but because we are the host nation I've been able to watch all sorts of things this time around. I always love watching the rowing and cycling - not just because we're so good at them, but because they always seem to have such nail-biting finishes. But I never thought I would find myself engrossed by dancing horses (equestrian freestyle dressage - who knew that existed) and BMX racing...the former being incredibly beautiful and the later full of thrills and spills!

There have been many great events in these games but by far the greatest achievement for me is the way they've lifted the spirits of the nation. Now, I am not one for nationalistic fervour but a few weeks ago there was a high level of cynicism about what London would deliver with the press concentrating on any little niggle and negative aspect they could find. Couple this with the forever present black cloud of economic gloom and an absolutely dire summer here in the UK and it was all pretty depressing. Now, not only has the organisation and logistics pretty damn good, but 'Team GB' has surpassed itself with some amazing performances and a great medal haul and on the back of this, people are feeling proud, spirits are high and everyone is smiling!

How long will it last...I don't know but hopefully something can be harnessed and carried forward, certainly the future looks brighter for British sport but the weather and the economy...well they're in the lap of the gods and the economists - heaven help us on both counts!

I should point out that I've not been entirely idle and have made a few pieces of jewellery including this, my tribute to 'Team GB'...


I've also spent quite a lot of time clearing out the numerous pots of beads that have accumulated on my work bench and in the process finished a couple of projects that had been hanging around for a while, including this lovely, tranquil necklace showcasing a pendant by Birgitta Lejonkou.


And this great fun piece featuring a Jade Scott pendant...


And then there was an earring session -the easiest things to make when you're watching TV at the same time. These cuties feature lampwork mice by Ciel Creations and my own bronze bead caps.


This selection includes lampwork flowers by Mermaid Glass, lampwork beads by Puffafish Lampwork and ceramic charms by Karen Totten.


I'll be listing new jewellery in my Etsy shop when the current sale ends on Sunday. Although I'm having a little break from component production, I had a few things to do for custom orders so I had a little play with some rustic ring designs. These are quite tricky because they're thin and break easily whilst sanding and finishing but they're so useful and versatile and I like the way they've come out, so I'll be experimenting further and listing them in the shop in the near future.


Apologies if you were looking for the 'Brit Pack Beaders' reveal this week - unfortunately some of the team were a little stretched so we had to put it back a week. But do join us here on Wednesday 15th when all will definitely be revealed!

This weekend sees the second reveal of Lori Anderson Bead Soup Blog Party so I'm sure many of you will be checking in for that - I know I will. I hope you all have a lovely weekend.

Lesley

3 comments:

  1. I was going to congratulate you on taking some well-deserved rest...but then you went and posted all those pics of the fantastic jewelry you have been creating! Wow! Really love your bronze work in your Olympic earrings,.so cool! The mice are ADORABLE nesting in your bead caps...and I need to watch your store for those rings....WANT!!! Everything is just lovely! Enjoy the last 2 days of the Olympics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Patti - I can't go more than a couple of days without making something - my work is also my play I guess. How cool is that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the Olympic Gold earrings! The glass rings go great with your gorgeous components! I'm going to have to order some more, I guess!

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy - join in with the gossip...