Friday 3 January 2014

AJE Component of the Month - December Reveal

Welcome to another AJE Component of the Month reveal which is a few days late as this is actually the last of the 2013 challenges. The components for December were these gorgeous organic swirl beads intricately decorated with tiny dots from Rebekah of Tree Wings Studio. I chose one in russet red like the one in the centre of this picture.


What with everything that goes on it December I didn't actually start my design until right at the last minute so I had to come up with an idea that was going to work first time. While I was pondering what to do I was staring out of the studio window from where I can see a bit of the woodland that surrounds the area. The sky was that heavy pinky grey colour that promises rain (we've already had a ton of the stuff), the branches of the bare tree were stark against the backdrop and a few birds sat huddled together against the elements.

The earthy tones of Rebekah's seemed to work with this image so I starting picking out some beads that I thought would work with the theme. I settled on a little grey bird by fellow AJE team mate Caroline Dewison along with some Czech glass flower beads. I made a focal pendant by wiring the focal and bird bead together with stainless steel wire and a russet crystal accent bead and hanging it from an antiqued silver ring. I wire wrapped the flower beads and added these to a length of chain attached to the bottom of the focal.


I was really happy with this and finished the necklace very simply by adding a length of leather lacing from Smitten Beads wrapped with more stainless steel wire. The necklace is extra long and slips over the head without the need of a clasp - very casual and very easy to wear.


I love the contrast of the flower beads - they give a watery effect to the piece and the stainless steel has that rain grey feel. I think it captures those wintry colours really well. What do you think....?


To see what the rest of the AJE team and our guests have designed with their component just click on the links below.

Happy hopping!
Lesley


Guest Designers:
Ann - Bead Love
Melissa - Bead Recipes


AJE Team:
Kristen - My Bead Journey
Susan - Sue Beads
Rebekah - Tree Wings Studio
Caroline - BlueberriBeads










18 comments:

  1. I love Rebekah's beads =) and you succeed to make it more beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this Lesley. As soon as I saw your design, I thought, "Why didn't I think to use it as a pendant component?" I never pictured it in my mind as anything other than a bracelet component---but that's why these blog hops are so much fun. Every single design is unique! I also enjoyed reading about how the idea came to you of creating a rainy, wintery woodland scene. Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you've got your inspiration from our awful weather! The leather works perfectly and I love the contrast of colours... a beautiful design!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's lovely Lesley, and very evocative of the scene you described. Like Linda, I'm fascinated by the way each person makes these components their own.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a PERFECT design, Lesley. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a beautiful necklace, I love how you used all the different materials to make this beautiful bead stand out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So perfectly pretty. I love the colors and the little bell flowers are precious! If I wore necklaces, this would be my favorite one!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lesley you really captured your inspiration in this. I love the colors and texture!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Simple but beautiful Lesley. Thanx for sharing your inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, I love it! I love the longer necklace styles right now and yours is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful! And your bird bead is PERFECT with Rebekah's speckle bead. I love that bird bead btw!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Caroline's beads are sneaking in everywhere... at least my table as well! I love the necklace, Lesley! The multiple flower beads create a visual rhythm with the repeated dots, made my eyes happy. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great necklace. It really does remind me on the circle of life from the bird to the seeds to all the flowers..

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really like this necklace and agree it would be one of those favorite go-to necklaces. At each blog, I see the speckle bead color and say "ohhh, I like that one". I guess that means I like them all! But this one is really great, and you've used the colors so brilliantly.

    ReplyDelete
  15. A sweet necklace! I love your inspiration as nature never fails to inspire.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this. If we lived near each other I'd come over and steal it away from you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is really beautiful Lesley! I LOVE the Czech glass flowers you chose--the clear ones especially add such a nice lightness and gloss to the piece. The rustic little bird is the perfect foil to the Czech glass and really ties Rebekah's bead in nicely with the rest of the necklace. Keeping the remainder simple with just the leather cording was a stroke of genius--any more embellishment I think would have taken away from the lovely focal section you created. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Grey, rainy days are my very,very favorite! And yes, I can hear the rain splashing softly amid the winter trees right now looking at your necklace—what a stunning way to capture the scene—I really do love your design Lesley! Thank you so much for playing along!

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy - join in with the gossip...