Tuesday 31 May 2016

AJE Component of the Month - May Reveal


So as May draws to close another AJE design challenge rolls around and this month it was the turn of Sue Kennedy to provide us with components to work with and she chose these cute little lampwork heart and star cabochons...

These are the selection Sue sent me - aren't they cute...?


Whilst I had originally thought to use all three of these together time escaped me and I didn't get to start the challenge until the very last minute so I decided to concentrate on one piece. The coral coloured star reminded me of the starfish I used to go searching for in rock pools and caves as a child so that was the one I chose to use in an ocean themed piece.

starfish


Using one of my hand made molds I made a polymer clay urchin focal and before baking impressed the star into the clay to make a setting for it. Once baked I painted it with acrylic paints and then sanded it back to expose some of the clay and glued Sue's cab into position.


I'm not usually once for using glue as a connection but I didn't want to obscure the detail of the star with a metal setting. In this context and with these materials it's very secure and I think it works. 

I love layered or stacked pendants so I added one of my copper clay shells and a tiny coral and seed bead charm to add further depth and interest... 


For the necklace I picked out some beads that reflected the colours of the focal and copper wire wrapped them - recycled glass, lampwork pumpkins and ocean jasper accented with mottled sandy seed beads.


A pretty copper chain with another tiny charm, an LOS (Liver of sulphur) bath for the metal/bead elements and a quick tumble and the design is finished. Now I want to head for the beach and get my toes into some sea and sand!


Many thanks to Sue for providing us with these lovely pieces to work with. Please go and visit the rest of the AJE team and our guests to see what they did with their components - links below.

Lesley

Guests


AJE Team Members

14 comments:

  1. YESSSSSSS. My first thought when Sue revealed these was setting it into polymer. Although seed beads won in my case. It is stunning! Orange isn't a fave of mine - but paired with that turquoise and dark copper/bronze... delicious. It s a gorgeous pop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to wear this all summer. I...love..it. Fantastic work, Lesley!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! What a perfect summer piece of jewelry! You never cease to amaze me with your imagination and thought process! I LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how I wish I had your skills! That urchin is amazing and Sue's star sets it off in so many ways. I would wear this everyday!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This necklace is sheer perfection Lesley. The focal, the beads, the colors, the design ... all of it stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely adore everything about this necklace. Everything. It's perfect for summer. Or winter when you are wishing it was summer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You always come up with beautiful colour combinations and this one's a stunner... Love the urchin setting, and the details around the necklace. It makes me want to sit on a tropical beach drinking cocktails!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow! I love the urchin! What a stunning piece Lesley! There are so many aspects I love about this necklace too many to mention, and beautifully neat wire work as always! Just stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hands down, my favorite! The urchin looks real! Seriously I thought for sure it and the shell were real when I glanced at pictures before I read the blog! Wow absolutely amazing work! You did Sue's bitty cab proud! The color match of the beaded links is spot on, too! You are an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful work. I'm just getting into polymer clay and this piece is amazing. It looks so real. Great job

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love!! it! What amazing work on that urchin. I too thought it was "for reals".

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is beautiful! So perfect for a day in the sun or a cruise.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Lesley, Awesome necklace. You made that star really shine with your color choices and the star placement.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm just getting around to reading my favorite blogs. Your necklace is fantastic! The color combinations are great!

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy - join in with the gossip...