Thursday 3 July 2014

AJE Component of the Month - June reveal

This months challenge components have been supplied by Linda who has very recently started working with clay and lovely pieces they were too...


I chose this pair of blue stoneware rose charms thinking that I would probably make a pair of earrings. However, they're quite large charms and I felt that to avoid making them too heavy my design would have to be quite simple - nothing wrong with that of course but it wouldn't make for the most interesting post for this challenge. So I decided instead to work with just one piece and create a necklace instead.


One of the things I liked about these pieces is the natural colour and texture of the stoneware. It's been quite warm here in the UK over the last couple of weeks and I'm one of those people who, as soon as the weather warms up breaks out the loose, natural linen clothes and Linda's charms are a perfect complement to that look. I also like to keep my jewellery quite streamlined and easy to wear in summer - nothing too fussy or heavy.

So the piece I made is a long beaded necklace that slips straight over the head and has the charm as the focal of a layered pendant section.


The necklace is strung on waxed linen with stone coloured farfalle beads, dark blue Czech glass saucer beads with a picasso finish and tiny brass spacers all from Smitten Beads. I've also used the brass spacers in the loops which attach the necklace to a lovely stone coloured lampwork hoop from Outwest.


The rose charm is suspended from the hoop along with two of my own bronzclay leaves on brass chain and finished with little blue Czech glass drops. I love the cool feel of this piece and it somehow seems quite calming.


I did try to work both charms into the necklace but couldn't get it to balance satisfactorily so I went with my default 'less is more' approach and I'm happy with the result.


You can see what the rest of the AJE team and our guests did with their challenge components using the links  below.

Thanks for joining us.

Lesley


AJE Members

21 comments:

  1. It is a lovely calm piece and very elegant too! I love the colour palette!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous! I love the palette and the stoneware rose really looks wonderful in your design!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your necklace!! Great colors: the stoneware beige and the dark blue are perfect together!! And Linda's lovely pendant pulls it all together!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely design and colors! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This piece does look calm and cool. I love how you've used Linda's rose. So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You do so much with natural, subtle colors! Lovely as usual!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely beautiful! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your necklace is beautiful! Wonderful design!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow - the color combination - as well as the stunning design - in this necklace are absolutely gorgeous! Just beautiful (as usual)!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful! the colors are wonderful and the natural feel of the design is perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes! I love the layered pendant combining yours and Linda's. The peanut seed beads are great - I need some of those, nice texture. Overall - totally love it .

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, so gorgeous! The color palette is perfect and the combination of elements!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the necklace! It is so perfect for the summer or actually anytime.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lesley what can I say I always always love your jewellery and this one is no exception. Stunning piece and great post too. Thank you so much for using me beads and for the mention. alway appreciated. Claire xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Lesley,
    Your necklace is gorgeous! I am always in awe of your work, you just have that touch. The elements you pulled together for your necklace compliment Linda's clay rose charm to a tee.
    Therese

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Lesley,
    I simply love your necklace. Just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I adore your necklace Lesley. The colors, the textures, the layering with the outwest hoop and your bronze pieces - Perfection!!! You'd better not bring this to Bead Fest 'cuz I may steal it! jk You've done my little clay piece proud. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Quite beautiful! I love simpler things in the summer also. This is just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Absolutely fantastic Lesley! I love your subdued color palette with this, it really makes Linda's flower shine. "Less is more" in this case was exactly right! I love how you suspended the flower and the leaves from the lampwork ring with the three metal rings, brilliant! I have to use my farfalle beads, I love how they have the look of a knotted strand.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow! What a lovely necklace from beautiful pieces. You really are the ARTIST.
    ps. Thank you for the two lovely pendants I ordered from you (which arrived today). They are stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wonderful job Lesley. I think your necklace looks very comfortable. The colors you chose look great together and they would be wearable with lots of different clothing.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy - join in with the gossip...