Wednesday 16 May 2012

Motley Owl Mini Blog Hop


Welcome to the mini blog hop hosted by Lorelei Eurto and featuring ' Motley Owl' pendants by Erin Prais-Hintz. Erin created these pendants with the idea that the owl world must have it's share of fools, exhibitionists and anti-establishment characters - not what you'd expect from an owl but lots of fun. Historically motley was the name give to the traditional mixed colour costumes worn by court jesters and professional fools which distinguished them as different and outside of the normal social hierarchy and Erin's owls have their own motley plumage.

There is a foolish owl in one of the "Oz' stories who is also distinguished for being outside the norm:

"Is the owl so very foolish?" asked the boy."Extremely so", replied the donkey."notice what vulgar expressions she uses. But I admire the owl for the reason that she is positively foolish. Owls are supposed to be so very wise, generally, that a foolish one is unusual, and perhaps you know that anything or anyone unusual is sure to be interesting to the wise."

The Patchwork Girl of Oz by L. Frank Baum

Well, I'll take interesting every time and my little owl is definitely that. I see her as one of life's flamboyant characters with her pink plumage and her bright eyes darting around...her head's in the clouds and she's a little bit ditsy. No dark woods for this lady, she loves bright colours (especially pink), blue skies, and sunshine - she's a hippie chick and flower fledgling of the owl world.


I'm in two minds about this piece as it didn't quite go in the direction I expected - not that I had anything as grand as a plan. I knew I wanted to incorporate some lovely pink polymer clay beads I had and some gorgeous rose pink silk from Marsha Neal but that's about it.


I started at the front with the beaded section of mixed blue Czech glass beads with brass accents and after much fiddling about with silk and chain, (I'm neither good or fast with textiles) I finally came up with this 'chain within a chain' style which I quite like.


I added a second layer of brass chain with a Vintaj clasp and linked the wrapped polymer clay beads by Pippa of Pips Jewellery -  aren't they great...?  A final flourish from one of my own bronze sunflowers makes sure the the sun is always shining down on my flighty feathered friend...


In hindsight, I'm not sure about the blue beaded section and I'm thinking maybe it would look better with the silk chain all the way around...but then I didn't have enough silk to do that anyway so I'll have to ponder and maybe purchase...


So there you have my little motley owl - definitely not the norm but I hope you found her interesting and many thanks to Lorelei for hosting such a fun event. Use the links below to meet the rest of the motley crew featuring in this mini blog hop:

Lesley Watt: http://www.thegossipinggoddess.blogspot.com   You are here
Lorelei Eurto http://www.lorelei1141.blogspot.com
Chris White : http://dzeyenrstudio.blogspot.com
Raida Disbrow: http://havanabeads.blogspot.com
Penny Young-Neville: http://copperpennydesigns.blogspot.com
Tanya Goodwin:  http://pixiloo.blogspot.com



Lesley



21 comments:

  1. I like the blue - think it might have been a bit too punk without it ! Pink, not punk ! X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the colors you chose for your owl! Great technique threading the silk through that chain, gives such a great look to the piece! Thank you for participating. I hope you had fun with it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is way too cute! Love the polymer clay beads you added and the pink silk ribbon threaded through the chain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lesley - there is so much about this necklace that just draws you in. Motley's little eyes. Those wonderful mixture of blue beads... The way the pink ribbon is through that chain is like a layering of larger chain (awesome affect!). And the pink beads with the chain and your sun are just a fantastic added layer (he will surely be fluffing up his wings in that sun)... Great piece! Thanks for the info about the mini hop on FB! Can't wait to check out everyone else's :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a great, and fun design. and the silk threading through the chain - wow that is great! how funny to think of owls as motley, I've always thought them wise. But think motley is actually quite fitting ... especially these with their mischievous eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. She's darling! I love that you gave her an identity. The necklace is so pretty and is perfect for summer--or anytime. Those polymer beads are great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. First of all....I love your post! Your pink silk chain with a chain is so creative...I Love it! The blue beaded section is perfect...ties in perfectly with the blue in the pink beads! i would not change one darn thing! Such a lovely creation, though I knew it would be! Great job, Lesley!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My favourite part is how you wove the silk on both sides of the chain. Great idea and perfect technique. I like the mix of blue and brass too. It is like two necklaces in one. Great work as always!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fun necklace! I love the colors you choose, and I especially love how you wove the ribbon through the chain! You brought that sweet little owl alive. Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is wonderful! I love the pink and blue together and do like the blue section. It gives another splash of color and brings out the blue around the owl's eyes. I love the pink ribbon and am a bit disappointed I can't reach through the screen and touch it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How fun! I agree with Bo^ -- it definitely would have been too punk without the blue ;) But really, it's a good balance. And the silk adds some great contrast too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I too love the color combo - it just pops and makes the owl come alive!! gorgeous design!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great color combo for your owl, goes perfectly with her personality! They each have their own your know! Great fun!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your little owl and her feathery eye lashes, I really like the touch of blue you added, it makes the pendant pop!♠

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love it! The silk 'chain' with chain is great...I'm not good with textiles either but I keep trying and this is great inspiration. I also really love the blue...it draws out the bit of blue in your other polymer beads and makes the pink pretty instead of over powering.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Miss Lesley! Thank you so much for playing along in this fun hop. I am just honored that you worked with this Motley. She was meant to be yours for sure! I had never heard that passage from Baum. Thank you for sharing! Proves that there are fools among the wise! I too love the chain detail. That is so very clever. I actually thought that it was a chain! And the blue is a nice detail. I think that it grounds this flighty flier. She is up to something for sure! You are my 'something good' today!
    Enjoy the day!
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the personality you gave your owl (I think I may actually know her!) and the beautiful necklace that suits her so perfectly! =)

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is lovely! I particularly like the unexpected hot pink!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks all for your lovely comments - this was a fun cahllenge indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very pretty Lesley! You did a great job on the silks - it looks really great!

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy - join in with the gossip...